*THESE RULES AND REGULATIONS CAN BE CHANGED UP UNTIL 8 DAYS BEFORE ENTRY’S CLOSING DATE.*
To inspire young dancers to chase their dreams in all styles of dance.
2. PLACE AND DATE OF THE COMPETITION
27-30th July 2021
Teatro Municipal de Portimão (TEMPO - Teatro Municipal de Portimão)
Largo 1º de Dezembro 34, 8500-802 Portimão
Algarve Dance Open is organised by ‘Talented Proposal Associação’
Pas de Deux
Group (only up to 10 participants)
Classical Ballet: Please see the list of variations at the end for levels 2-Professional. The use of pointe shoes is not permitted in Levels Mini and 1 in Classical Ballet. In all other levels it is optional. The organization recommends a free choreography or adapted variations for Mini and Level 1. For solos over level 2, Variations are mandatory.
Neoclassical and free ballet- Only for Level 2- Professional, barefoot, soft shoe or pointe accepted
Contemporary: follow the lines of technique (Graham, Lemon, Cunningham etc.), pointe shoes cannot be displayed in this style.
Jazz- barefoot, soft shoes or high heels (No pointe shoes)
National, Folklore and Character
Musical Theatre- candidates must show their abilities to sing and dance at the same time. Dancers must sing live. Music may not contain pre-recorded voices.
Lyrical and Modern
Pas de deux/ trois; Entries accepted from Level 2 upwards. Limited to the first 6 entries per category in each level. The same pair can only compete once. Boys may pair twice. Entrance/Adagio and coda up to 6 minutes. Level is governed by the age of the oldest competitor
· Only props that the performer is able to carry themselves may be used (although help may be given to younger competitors to carry to stage).
Time allowance is 20 seconds to mount and dismount
· The organisation of Algarve Dance Open is not responsible for any kind of plagiarism that might eventually be complained about. The choreography that is performed, including the song and every other item that are used are entirely of the contestant’s responsibility or of the entity that signed him/her up in the competition.
Level Mini 4-6 years
Level 1 7-10 years
Level 2 11-13 years
Level 3 14-16years
Level 4 17-19 years
Level Professional 20 –25 years
The average age is determined for Duets/Trio and Group. Solo levels are determined by the age of the competitor on March 31st. Level for Pas de deux is determined by the oldest competitor.
7. CLASSES’, CATEGORIES’ and STYLES’ Alteration
The organisation has the right to alter (by joining or dividing) as well as change the Classes, Categories or Styles, according to the number of participants in contest, or any other reason that justifies such
8. TIME LIMITS
Solo- 2 minutes
Duet/Trio- 2 minutes 30 seconds
Pas de deux/trois - (Entrée / adagio and coda) 6 minutes
Group- 3 minutes and 30 seconds
Over 15 seconds, 1.5 points deducted
Over 30 seconds 4 points deducted
For Musical Theatre, an extra 30 seconds can be added.
· Music should be sent to ( firstname.lastname@example.org) by the 14th July
· The subject of the email should include:
· Name of Competitor (Soloists/Duets/Trios) or School Name (Group) + Dance Title
· Each email should contain one music in mp3 format and the following information:
· Competitors Name (Only Solo and duet/trio)
· Dance Title
· C- First the Competitor enters the stage; M- First the music begins
· Offensive language in any language will result in immediate disqualification. Please check your entries before submitting.
Technique- Level of difficulty, Control and performance, epaulement = maximum 25 points
Choreography - originality, creativity, cohesion, diversity, interpretation of music, use of the stage. = Maximum 25 points
Artistic interpretation and musicianship of the dancers. Expression, interaction with audience. = Maximum 25 points
Aesthetics, and visual effects = maximum 25 points
· The jury reserves the right not to award a prize if the quality of the work does not meet the necessary standard
· Age is taken from 31st March 2021
· Checks may be made at random at the place of competition. If there is any document missing, the organisation has the right to refuse entry
· Contestants must fill the entry form and send to and send proof of payment with School/Competitor Name
· The acceptable payment method will be a bank transfer- by request
14. BACKSTAGE & DRESSING ROOMS
· Subject to covid restrictions
· Numbers will be restricted
· No admittance to non-dancers
· The competition’s jury will comprise of three or more representatives, highly recognised in the dance community.
· The Jury’s decision is final and not subject to appeal
· Jury members are completely independent from any school competing
· Costumes should underline the character of the dance
· Costumes MUST be age appropriate
· Appearance and grooming is important and will be taken into consideration by the jury
17. BEST CONTESTANTS
· 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each category, dance style, class age category and division will receive a medal/trophy that will be given during the competition and a certificate that will be sent the respective School.
· To be awarded 3rd contestant must have 65 points
· To be awarded 2nd place contestant must have 75 points
· To be award 1st place contestant must have 85 points
· Solo- €40
· Duet/Trio- €30 (per competitor)
· Pas de deux €35 (per competitor)
· Group- €15 (per competitor)
· Compulsory Event fee of €30
Inscriptions close 20th June
· Algarve Dance Open are not responsible for any injures that may occur to a competitor, teacher or audience member whilst in the theatre, dressing rooms, backstage, on the stage and on the premises.
· All competitors need to have a personal injury insurance or schools need to have their own insurance or through their dance school insurance
· Algarve Dance Open does not take responsibility for accidents, stealing or loss of property that might occur during the competition
20. PHOTOGRAPHY/ VIDEO RECORDINGS
· Video recording and photography is strictly forbidden during the competition
· Participation in the competition automatically implies agreement to being recorded/filmed
· Algarve Dance Open reserves the right to use images/videos for commercial and promotional purposes
21. CONDITIONS OF PERFORMANCE
· Special lighting affects are not permitted
· No live props can be used during a performance
· No liquid substances are allowed on stage during a performance; this includes blowing bubbles, water or other substances that may affect the stage for future competitors
· No confetti or any items that require the stage to be cleaned/swept may be used
· Schools are responsible for their own props
· If your music stops due to a technical fault, you will be allowed to dance again.
· You cannot dance again if you forget your dance.
· Covid 19 Rules of the theatre will be followed.
· Registration in the competition automatically implies acceptance of the present rules and regulations
· Any matter omitted in the present rules and regulations will be decided upon by Algarve Dance Open
· Registration can be cancelled in a case where the rules and regulations of the competition are not upheld by competitors, members of school and supporters
· The cancelling of a registration under such unfortunate circumstances, will be communicated verbally or by email to the teacher responsible for the competitor/school and is not subject to complaint. Fees will not be returned.
· In the case of a school cancelling an entry (injury, etc) fees will not be returned.
Flower Festival at Genzano
Diana & Acteon
La Fille Mal Gardée
The Sleeping Beauty
Grand Pas Classique
The Flames of Paris